Southcoast provides the highest quality bipolar disorder treatment for adolescents & adults. Our treatment plans include individualized therapies to promote long-term recovery from bipolar disorder.
Learn more about bipolar disorder treatment at Southcoast Behavioral Health Hospital in Dartmouth, MA
Bipolar disorder is a serious disorder with the potential to profoundly affect the lives of its sufferers. Characterized by the presence of manic and depressive episodes, the disorder can cause immense disruption in the lives of those who struggle with it. Disruptions in one’s relational and occupational life are common and, if left untreated, the disorder can have profound and potentially life-threatening consequences.
Thankfully, treatment is available for those who seek help. At Southcoast Behavioral Health, we understand the unique struggles brought on by bipolar disorder, and our specialized treatments and compassionate, expert staff are committed to helping each of our patients learn to manage the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Helping a loved one or family member get treatment for bipolar disorder
Standing by while a family member struggles with bipolar disorder can be a tremendously difficult process, and it may feel as though there is little you can do to help. However, there are a number of steps you can take to help your loved one, such as:
- Research bipolar disorder. Learn to recognize the symptoms of manic episodes and depressive episodes and talk to mental health experts about what you can do to help your loved one during both types of episodes. Educate yourself about treatment options, methods, medications, and other elements of treatment.
- Have open communication with your loved one. Emphasize your support and love, but also discuss the symptoms you have noticed and encourage your loved one to get help.
- Research treatment centers and make note of a few that may be a good fit. Should your loved one want to enter treatment, it can be helpful to have a few options to discuss with him or her.
- If your loved one decides to enter treatment, offer to help with logistics, such as setting up transportation, meetings with treatment center staff, and tours of treatment facilities. Remain supportive during your loved one’s stay in treatment and continue to emphasize your love for him or her.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure you do not forget to engage in activities that replenish you. Keep up with your social circle and your personal hobbies. You might also consider joining a support group for people whose loved ones struggle with bipolar disorder.
Why consider treatment for bipolar disorder at Southcoast Behavioral Health Hospital in Dartmouth, MA
If left untreated, bipolar disorder can have disastrous effects on a person’s life. It can cause strain on social relationships and can damage relationships with significant others. One’s work performance may suffer, possibly leading to job loss and financial strain. Risky behaviors during a manic episode may result in injury, contracting an STI, or even death. Furthermore, people struggling with bipolar disorder may struggle with suicidal ideation or suicide attempts. Fortunately, seeking effective treatment can prevent or minimize many of these negative consequences.